Her Bad Mother

Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Truth, In Twelve Words Or Less

The truth about motherhood:

The sum of all universes, shat upon, but ever-wiped and diapered.

(Spare and obscure, I admit - and meaningful, perhaps, only to me - but I was simply incapable of even beginning to ponder the question, what is the truth about motherhood according to me?, without either writing a six-volume epic, or a koan. I went with the koan.

If you're reading this Sunday, you've still got time to answer the question, put forward by PBN. You might try to do it as a koan, in one shortish sentence. Be sure to link PBN and Discovery Health if you do it before midnight tonight. Let me know, though, via linkage and/or comments, if you go the koan route - which is, really, just a concise sentence, usually one that articulates contradictions, but it can sound however you like. Your truth about motherhood, twelve words - or so - or less. I'd love to compile them. )

(Look! SusieJ did it! So did Ali-RN! You can too!)

My universes, summarized. (Soon to be universes, squared.)


Labels:

17 Comments:

Blogger Fairly Odd Mother said...

Oh my. I feel like I should mail back my diploma since I have no idea what in the world a koan is. A poem plus a ???chorus???. I'm off to google this term to save myself from the ignorance.

But, whatever it is, yours was very good.

8:08 PM  
Blogger Zellmer said...

I had to look it up, as well. But thanks for teaching me a new word. Wonderbaby is supercute.

10:26 PM  
Blogger Dr. Leah - Consultant for Lawyers said...

"My universes, summarized."

I completely love that line! Very cool.

10:39 PM  
Blogger Dr. Leah - Consultant for Lawyers said...

mothering, the foundation of all to me, encompassed and transformed my being

that's my summary...

leah

10:43 PM  
Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

Leah - beautiful.

10:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous photo! She looks all toddler like now!

Gabriella

10:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I need to return my diploma too, as I never learned about koans. Yet, you inspired me to google the term... and I wrote my first koan. My question, which I still find inaccessible to the rational mind.
Irrationality of Motherhood

11:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well... it would be nice if I could make a rational link!
http://www.susiej.com/index.php/the-irrationality-of-motherhood/

11:30 PM  
Blogger Kyla said...

I keep looking at your banner and then looking at WB and thinking....wow, she's really grown this year.

Lovely post, Cath.

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh catherine wonderbaby is really growing into a sweet little girl...and i will have to go google koan to see what precisely it is....LAVANDULA

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know about the whole koan thing, it is hard to think when your nose is running, but I just had to say, WB? She is lovely as usual, but when exactly did she become such a big kid? Wow.

12:01 PM  
Blogger ALI said...

i did it!
http://ali-rnmom.blogspot.com/2008/03/100th-post.html#links

3:45 PM  
Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

FG - NO EFFING IDEA. I'm as amazed as you are.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Miss Merry Sunshine said...

She looks like fun ;)

Motherhood: the best and worst job I've ever had.

5:08 PM  
Blogger Lady M said...

Cute, cute, cute. Sorry, brain turned all gooey when I saw that picture.

Hey - I love We Covet! Congrats on the new site. I followed the link to the wall decals post at RealSimple and FINALLY found a wall decoration for Q. Thank you.

3:44 AM  
Blogger foop said...

OK, this is closer to a haiku than a koan, but here you go:

The world turns without asking my permission.

I try to tie a string around the ocean.

Time flows through my fingers.

My baby is four.

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh Foop! That's fantastic!

7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home